A passing comment made by a friend weeks before and the next thing I knew I sailing down the Chicago River on an electric boat singing along to 90’s tunes with a bunch of fellow travel bloggers.
These were not just any bloggers but ones handpicked to attend Bloghouse Chicago. Put together by Navigate Media, Bloghouse is considered the Harvard Business School of blogging and it was a massive compliment to be selected to participate.
Not only did I spend four days studying the ins and outs of the blog business, but I got to experience a city that I only knew from this iconic song:
We bunked in all together at the gorgeous Villa D’Citta, a Flipkey B&B in Lincoln Park. Don’t be misled by the B&B moniker, as this is no normal B&B, but a fantastic five-star boutique hotel masquerading as a B&B. Built in the 1880’s as a “family cottage,” it has been updated and modernized to perfection. The original owner was in love with Italy and small details all over the house reflect his passion.
Every room is named for a different Italian city and I was given Firenze. How did they know I lived there many moons ago and would feel right at home in this sunny spot with French doors opening out to a lovely view of the garden.
Cathy, the den mother, and her team keep on top of everything – there are even freshly baked cookies everyday! If that doesn’t tempt you, maybe the wine on tap, the stone pizza oven or the hot tube will! Forgo Chicago’s many other hotel options and book in here!
During three days of non-stop workshops on social media, travel writing, video, photography and WordPress, one needs some refreshment and refreshed we were! Treated to a cocktail party at the Vertigo Sky Lounge on top of the Dana Hotel, we gazed at the sunset while snacking on sushi.
Our second night, after the boat ride mentioned above, we had a delicious dinner at Mercadito Restaurant, hosted by one of our wonderful sponsors, Gogo Inflight!. The margaritas were mean but the tacos were very, very nice.
Four days in Chicago flew by, it is the Windy City after all, and now I am back in London. It’s hard to start putting into practice all I learned, when all I want to do is head back there to discover more Best Bits!
So bear with me while the dust settles and get ready for more and more Best Bits Worldwide!
London and Chicago meet at the Tribune Tower on N. Michigan Ave.!
Check out the site of all the other Bloghousers if you get a chance:
Navigate Media – our amazing instructors:
- Sherry Ott of Ottsworld.com
- Lisa Lubin of LLWorldTour.com
- Stephanie Yoder of Why Wait to See the World
- Mike Tieso of ArtofAdventuring.com
- Ayngelina of BaconisMagic.ca
- Cailin O’Neil of TravelYourself.ca
Other fabulous Travel Bloggers:
- Francesca Mazurkiewicz – TheWorkingMomTravels.com @WorkMomTravels
- Anne Lowrey – PartTimeTraveler.com @anne_elizabeth
- Ryan Zieman – RyanZieman.com @RyanZieman
- Brad Bernard – MyWanderlist.com @mywanderlist
- Mindi & Daryl Hirsch – 2foodtrippers.com @2foodtrippers
- Jenny Marshall – athingforwords.com @AThingForWords
- Nick Huggins – NicksTravelBug.com @NicksTravelBug
- Lindsay Buckley – FrugalFrolicker.com @lindsaypunk
- Beth Williams – BesudesuAbroad.com @besudesuabroad
- Amber Hoffman – WithHusbandInTow.com @husbandintow
- Chanel Brown –CulturalXplorer.com @culturalxplorer
- Kristin Francis – SouvenirFinder.com @souvenirfinder