Please check whether this destination and these establishments are open and ready for business. You can do this by going to their websites or calling them.
Not all of us are lucky enough to sip a Pomada in a cave overlooking the Mediterranean on Menorca. Some of us live in London, but we can bring a little of that Southern European sentiment into our daily lives with just a sip of these summer cocktails.
To celebrate the one year anniversary of my podcast, the Lush Life Podcast, I give you one of my favorite posts of the year – the Best Sips this aestival season.
The Best Bits
COCKTAIL TRADING COMPANY
1. I had to begin with a cocktail off the recently launched, brand-new menu from Andy, Elliott and Olly of The Cocktail Trading Company (my first ever podcast!). Both beautiful looking and tasting, with ingredients such as Tapatio Blanco Tequila, habanero-apricot sherbet, and spiced corn orchata, we’ll all be heading to Mexico after a few of these!
THE WALRUS ROOM
2. Alfonso Califano and Simone de Luca, the masterminds of The Walrus Room, have sprinkled this cocktail with a bit of rose water to transport you right into the heady days of summer. It’s a twist on a classic Daisy Cocktail – combining Courvoisier VSOP Cognac, Rhubarb Gin, Elderflower cordial, and lemon!
3. Off the heels of the RHS Chelsea Flower Show, Vincenzo Sibilia fashioned his own bloom from No.3 London Dry Gin, rose water, lemon juice, gomme syrup and wasabi, aptly named Not Just a Flower. Enjoy it in the Barts Cuban Garden – a hidden treasure in an already hidden bar!
4. OSLO Bar may always have this on their menu, but I think it rocks as a summer drink. I also love its name! The Green Mistress blends Cremorne Colonel Fox Gin, chartreuse, elderflower & rose syrup, egg white, fresh lemon juice into a refreshing cooler.
5. Head’s Up – Dickie’s Bar is coming to town, opening later in June. Chef Richard Corrigan is working with Gregory Buda of The Dead Rabbit, voted the World’s Best Bar (World’s 50 Best, 2016), and Richard Ryan, founder of Drinksology. Its home will be in Corrigan’s Mayfair restaurant and the summeriest of all the cocktails on the menu is the Fairy Fort, a combination of Fortaleza Blanco Tequila, Kappa Pisco, Lillet Rose, Rhubarb, Aperol, Lemon & Lime, and Cinnamon.
THE GENERAL STORE
6. Grapefruit drinks are a passion of mine! Even though it’s called the Electric Lemonade, the ingredients are lemon juice, sherbet syrup, soda AND grapefruit gin. Tangy and refreshing! Why am I not drinking one right now!?
THE JAM TREE
7. You have to love the name. Prosecco + St. Germain elderflower liqueur + strawberries = a bit of fun!
8. Another mix of a few of my summer favorites – Mastiha, Grapefruit and Lime! Add in Monkey 47 Gin into this cocktail and who needs Wimbledon!
9. Bobby Fitzpatrick is literally playing with fire with their cocktail Sexy Ting, consisting of Olmeca tequila, lime, ting syrup and fire! It adds heats to what we hope will be an already hot summer.
La Suite West Hotel
10: The last one is for the non-alcohol drinkers amongst us. La Suite West in Bayswater has partnered with Nosh Detox, specializing in raw, vegan and vegetarian dishes. Along with those, very healthy, food choices, come a few mocktails. The Lavender Field blends coconut water shaken with lavender and lemon, the ApplTEAni is made up of fresh apple juice, lime, and sparkling Darjeeling Tea, and the Strawberry Pina Colada combines strawberries with pineapple and coconut, fresh cucumber juice and mint leaves and elderflower cordial!
Best Bits: Travel Cheat Sheet
- Cocktail Trading Company
- The Walrus Room (closed now)
- Dickey’s Bar
- The General Store
- Jam Tree
- Ray’s Bar
- Bobby Fitzpatrick
- La Suite West Hotel
*All of the photos were provided by the bars, except the first one which I took!